Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities. ~Edyth O’Neill

Monday, December 7, 2015

A Christmas party with lots of friends here.

Counting back over my guest list Sunday night, there were forty guests and me, just about capacity for this house and the parking constraints of the neighborhood with narrow garden home lots each having just one parking spot on the street for guests. It just was super, worth all the work.  

 I have photos of preparations and the first few guests, and after that it was a happy whirlwind with no thought for the camera.
 


 
With a lot of greenery and pine cones on the green cupboard nearby, I kept the holiday trim to just a touch on the red one. The little Santa is one I made years ago.

 Beth and Gary and Linda worked very hard all the way through for hours until after most of the clean up.  I did not realize till it was over how much they were needed and how much they did!   Sarah’s three young children were so mannerly and adorable. She does a superb job with them.  Blake and Bailey are attractive young people. I had more family members but missed a daughter who was working on this busy December day.  We are enjoying brilliant sunny weather and the town is packed with Christmas shoppers who love Fredericksburg.
 
Kyle Biedermann is running for State legislature from our area.
 
Punch was one part white grape juice, one part ginger ale, one part champagne.   A pitcher unspiked was next to the bowl. Also offered was wine in the kitchen and Iced tea.
 


 
 
At least half the people who were here are artists.  Ron is in charge of the winery sales program for our art club and asked for three of my paintings to display and offer in a winery.  I asked him if he could place them at Six Shooter cellars where Tanya is manager. So that will happen this next week.   One of these is Taos Mountain, two more are western also.  I have not been exhibiting or trying to sell my work but a few sell along here from the house as people come in and ask for them.  I do not want to sell my Cape Ann Paintings, nor would they likely do well in this area.
 
    
Painter friend Steve Talley and his wife Ginette could not attend but sent a wonderful gift of one of Steve's paintings signed to me. I have a wide gold frame for it and love it.
 
 
 
Monday is the day for changing the dining table to be ready for Tuesday's all girl luncheon.  Storing the punch bowl and cups and such is done and I have moved the large sled centerpiece into the kitchen leaving only candles and their greenery on the table for lunch.   Penny will bring a cranberry drink and I have pumpkin nut bread left to serve for a morning treat when guests arrive.   After lunch we will visit Linda's then Penny's then Barbara's homes. All of us are "housey" as Harriet used to say and love to see each other's décor.  Most of us have known each other for half a lifetime and have so many stories to retell about antiquing adventures.  Old friends and old stories are the best!    e



Blog Archive

Visits