Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities.

For more than sixty years I have studied, collected, repaired, and bought and sold antique dolls. They have been back ground music in my life at every stage, sometimes louder, sometimes subdued, but always there with me. To see only the posts about dolls on this blog, click the banner on the right titled Dolls for My Red Cape. Keep clicking “Older Posts” to see more. Some of the posts featuring rug hooking are gathered under the banner For Cathy. From time to time items are offered for sale under the banner “O’Neill’s Antiques” which was our shop name for many years. ~Edyth O’Neill

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Don't let Ho Ho down the chimney yet!



Working toward my party on Sunday, I made candy yesterday listening to one of Pavarotti's Christmas albums. The recipe for Aunt Beulah's chocolates is one I have enjoyed about fifty years. (I am amazed and somewhat taken back to think I have lived long enough to have memories so old!) 
 
To make it, melt together in the microwave (or very carefully on top of the stove stirring constantly) one can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk and 1 lb (four boxes now in the smaller size) Baker's semi-sweet baking chocolate broken up some for easier melting, and a dash of salt.  Just melt it do not cook it. When shiny and smooth stir in 2 cups broken pecan pieces and quickly form chocolate clusters on aluminum foil over a bread board or large cookie sheets. Quickly is the important word here! Then place the candy in a cool place for about an hour, store at room temperature, do not refrigerate. So simple and good you will not believe it with just four ingredients..

 
  I am putting the table together, the large tray is inscribed on the back Champion Bull 1952 Brownwood Texas, from the years when I was a rancher's wife.  The tray belongs to daughter Beth now.   

On the sun porch a sled full of pink poinsettias is waiting to be placed outside by the front door for the party.
 
On the sun porch also are two very big pots with cherry tomatoes ripening a few each day. Treasures!   e

 

7 comments:

  1. That sunporch is one of my favorite places in your house. :~)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jan, I wish you were visiting me there today, warmly, E

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful place to put up your feet and sit awhile.. Love your Dining table and the beautiful hutch beside it. Just every thing is perfect and amazing to see. Thank you so much for sharing. That little sleigh is just perfect to welcome family for the Holidays.. Merry Christmas, Edyth, Kimmee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love my Christmas fence--I keep searching for others and have not found one yet

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sleigh is a humdinger as my grandma used to say! Thank you for the recipe and photo of the different Christmas fence. I read in your previous post that some fences were made to look like the pickets were twigs. Any photos of that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of the little twig fence is pictured on the slide show of the Red Cape at Christmas time. These are accessed on the right side of the blog. The fence is in a corner cupboard with a great German nativity set. I have tried but not succeeded in copying those photos to add to this post. You can go look at them in the slide show however, and I may find the originals someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MERRY CHRISTMAS EDYTH!!!!!!! XOXOXOXOXXOXO

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Visits