Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities. ~Edyth O’Neill

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

July's hot days in west central Texas

Friends have asked how I am  this summer,   Happy and grateful for each good day is my answer.   Outside my home I struggle to keep the green shady look of my dooryard garden. The front yard I do not show you as it is suffering from drought. I have lost three plants in the atrium this last week also. My atrium is watered only with buckets of water carried, it takes 6 buckets to water there.   Many areas near me have had some rains this summer, even other parts of our tiny city. But happenstance or bad luck has left me a long stretch with only a few sprinkles to tease.    The Mexican Oregano draws humming birds in the cooler parts of the day.  I am watering but have not yet had a single bloom from the Little Gem Magnolia which would be covered in lovely flowers in a normal year..







Inside thanks to the air conditioning I am comfortable and happy and busy. A few times a week I venture out to run errands in the heat and come back short of breath and red faced. So good to get back in the cool!   It is the height of peach season for us now, they are luscious and sweet and I eat as many each day as I can. I used to keep a big peach cobbler pie most of the months of July and August, but am just enjoying the fruit fresh this year.  So a trip to the country fruit stand is added to my routine.

My on line closet sale has been very successful and helped change out some of my storage. It has kept me busy making labels and wrapping packages and gathering boxes for a trip to the P O.  Sorting through doll clothes and parts is helping these things be better organized.  As ever, I am enjoying my doll family. Marley, the little English wooden has returned from a stay in Canada with top restoration experts to stabilize her finish.  She has found a place among other early wooden things and old pewter in my big northshore cupboard.  I find pleasure in the sight of her each time I pass by.


   E.


Blog Archive

Visits