Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities. ~Edyth O’Neill

Monday, July 14, 2014

Doll show in San Antonio today.

  I have never attended a nice antique doll show before , auctions yes, good shows no,  which made today so special!  There is a doll show downtown at the same time as the UFDC convention this week in San Antonio.   I bought a large papier mache boy like one I used to have though a size or so smaller and a little Goodyear hard rubber head dating perhaps 1855 to 1860,  a  contemporary of my American pressed linen head dolls.  I also bought a tall clock (not antique but well made) the size of my other favorite doll furniture Jack made.  A small old doll quilt and a little blue striped dress were easy additions. 
A very large Steiff bear, signed, came home but is too large for the case I wanted to put him in. One of the replicas of a few years back, this one is the cream colored Margaret Strong bear in the largest size.   He looks a lot like my replica 1906, lost in the house fire. That bear I called Elvis because he said to me in a deep bear voice “I wanna be your teddy bear”.   This one I  call Rowbear for the show promoter. 




 As there were 5 bags, most heavy, It took two extra people to get me out of the hotel and onto the sidewalk.  It was a parade with Rowbear the bear looking over the top of his sack.   There was one spectacular big fashion doll there  shown with her owner, Val of Val Star Antiques in IL.     It was my favorite doll for best in the show.





 
In this picture in front of the Ida Gutsel cloth boy, see the tiny shoulder head? I did not see it till I lifted the Gutsel boy out to look at him and then saw the early little Goodyear head!

 I could not leave the clock, it keeps time and chimes from a battery run works.  Close ups of my purchases will be posted soon. 
I had a good time visiting with people,  met a friend of Dixie Redmond's.  A lady came up to me at the show and said are you Edyth? I said yes.  She is Terri  from another Texas town.  She said I recognized you from your pictures on your blog, love the blog etc.. She is a great fan of Dixie's and Kathy Patterson’s and Peggy Flavin’s,  and had a doll by Lone Pierette  in her booth for sale.  Lone is a great doll maker in Denmark. I enjoyed running into an internet friend.  Dixie has woven a great web of us together round the world making and enjoying dolls together.   e
 
 

Blog Archive

Visits