Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities. ~Edyth O’Neill

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Garden around my garden home

My big Dig is over and the seating area is comfortable and the birds are happy to have their feeders back and new growth is everywhere.   Today I potted a few more plants and then just sat and enjoyed the garden and the birds.  All of the new plantings are standing up well and show promise of settling in. I am very pleased with the way it has turned out overall. 

There are several distinct areas.
The front yard redone last year is a near xeriscape.

An entry garden is mulched with small shrubbery and a few blooming perennials like Mexican oregano and mealy blue sage and a white blooming sage friend Barbara carried over and planted herself.

 
The paved seating area can accommodate more company with folding chairs. Gary and Beth and Cheryl have all helped furnish the patio this last few days. The hardest thing was lifting the heavy granite topped serving table! Horrors I did not know it would be so bad.   I would like to find an old grey wooden table for the serving bar and to double as a potting bench. This table looks really nice I do have to say.    The grey cedar chairs and bench have a fresh coat of stain. 




My vegetable area has a number of things planted there already; tomatoes, squash, eggplant, lettuce, spinach, beets and lots of herbs. Missing are the green beans waiting on a trellis. 


The largest part of the yard beyond a low retaining wall is a fifty foot wide wildlife area for a great many birds, but also frequented by raccoons, an occasional skunk or possum, many squirrels  and assorted lizards  (and sometimes a snake!)   I have added three small redbud trees for perching and 2 sizable yaupons for fall berries. A larger tree shades this area  for the hottest time of day.
All creatures appreciate the water kept for the birds.  Sometimes these wild ones sample the tomatoes and that is not good.

The little rain barrel is also in the back area. It is in place though not plumbed from the rain gutter yet.   One of my neighbors has a 250 gallon water catchment system.  I will learn small and perhaps let mine be larger later.  e, in her earth mother mode.

Blog Archive

Visits