Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities. ~Edyth O’Neill

Monday, April 21, 2014

Petting the house the day before Pictures are made

This is the fun day, I have stopped now for cheese and crackers and a glass of tea. Linda just called from Kerrville that she has found the hanging baskets of white flowers I need.  I have taken off all the arm covers from upholstered pieces and hidden the telephones and waste baskets.  My kitchen phone lives in a green shaker carrier upon a checked cloth (from Trisha)  that can be pulled up over it at a minute's notice. I learned this from Virginia long ago.
 
Pot plants have been borrowed from next door and fabric pieces have been gathered. The nice ochre check tea towel on the front of my stove was woven by Penny at a weavers workshop in Vermont.  What a treasured gift when I know she made just two of these that trip.

I have cut herbs at my house and Barbara's to hang on the sun porch.

 
The bakers at HEB were all running about this morning early showing me the prettiest loaves as they came from the oven!  It was hard to choose among them all.  to the left of one picture, see bay leaves from Virginia's Bay tree on a treen plate Jack turned long back.


 
Barbara is working high and low, on a ladder in this shot. Tomorrow morning Barbara will come with flower arrangements she has made and stored in a large refrigerator at her house. 
 
 
Cheryl has brought three great ferns to lend for the patio. I would have some there permanently but they cannot stand that much full sun. Gary and Beth will take the Television out this evening.
 
Next to the carrier on the table is a cookie cutter made by Beth and Gary. The square under the carrier was woven by sweet friend Cathy in Massachusetts. The little blue carrier is the first antique Jack and I ever bought together, before we were married. What an avalanche of Americana followed through the years!  There was never anything else we wished we had done instead.  There were more than forty trips to New England to search and study and buy for our small shop.    The collection I live with now in my retirement nest is so personal and full of happy memories as well as  present good times like today.  Friends are the whole story, sharing enjoyment of our homes and gardens and families together. Never more true to me than right now today.  e
 
 
 
 

Blog Archive

Visits