Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities. ~Edyth O’Neill

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Cape Cod

On Saturday Peggy and I were invited to a doll study club meeting. This was a pleasant experience in every way. The people, the dolls, the food, all the way from lobster to peach cobbler.  Even so the drive on the cape itself, with fall decorations everywhere, pumpkins and mums and red gold trees against the backdrop of the little towns, surely among the most  lovely in our country, just takes my breath away. Those of you who know the cape with the rose filled yards, and iconic architecture understand exactly. Crossing the bridge here at Cape Ann brought us back to home, and lovely as the big cape is to see and visit, if I could live on one or the other there is no contest. Cape Ann has my heart.

Sunday has been the first damp day, and I have gathered my things to pack all of it back home. I want to fit in so much more than will go in the luggage, a whole beach for example.

. Sunday evening is family dinner time with my hosts.  The food is incomparable. The young man I sat next to won  his native Italy's highest chef's award three years in a row before coming to this country. Very simple, very beautiful dishes,  one of the pretty salads was fresh spinach leaves, red beets cooked and chilled in a vinaigrette with walnuts and feta cheese, and slivers of something else crisp. The colors were deep and vivid.  The foods come from several family kitchens as all bring a few dishes.

After dinner I helped Cathy with her rug hooking. She is taking right off with it.

  I am going home but I think I will always be different because of this trip. My heart is so filled with gratitude for what I have received from this great family.  e

Blog Archive

Visits