Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities. ~Edyth O’Neill

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Displaying Cloth Dolls

Thinking of rag dolls, I like to hang them on a wall.   I like one hanging in a group of samplers or children’s clothing or other textiles.    I put a rough brown cord around one’s waist and hang it on a nail, careful that it does not lean out too much.    I used to visit a Doll dealer in Pennsylvania in whose home was a great collection of folk art, all antique and stunning.  She had a nice group of Lancaster Rags, black cloth dolls, on a wall in a hall.  In the living room, two lovely Izannahs hung in a space near the mantle.    A child’s portrait hung above the mantle.  Everything I remember in that house was museum worthy.   

In the house I have now, I would like to find the right space to hang my pockets and sewing rollups and a cloth doll or so in a pleasing wall arrangement.  Perhaps include a small hooked piece and or an early quilt square or a doll quilt.  Wall space here is a dear commodity!  I haven’t found it yet.   e

Blog Archive

Visits