Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities. ~Edyth O’Neill

Sunday, September 12, 2010



This is the doll head made by Marjorie Yost granddaughter of Mary Merritt. It is signed and dated (INSIDE) by her some 20 years ago. I knew her slightly when Jack and I used to visit the museum about twice each year. I never knew she had made dolls! I have since seen a Greiner reproduction on ebay made by her.
This head had a very yellow bad (to me) paint job , Sorry Marjorie! I have repainted her and will glaze her a bit. It was such good fortune to find a great photo on the doll magazine to work from!

I will glue strips of muslin inside the shoulders to make them stronger and thicker. They are very thin, as were the old ones of 1840 from which this mold was likely made. I often strengthen shoulder heads this way before placing them on a body. Mr Greiner had a good idea. This is a large head, about 8 or 9 inches tall and will make a 32 inch doll. I will post her again when she has a body. E

Blog Archive

Visits