Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities. ~Edyth O’Neill

Thursday, October 25, 2018

Arranging my tiny paint area


My tiny library is stretched to the limit to hold my book shelves and a large very full computer desk plus my painting area. By moving things just inches here and there without two inches to spare anywhere, I have managed to work in my shadow box which has been most unhandily stored in another room. I think this set up will work if I do not gain a pound, or accidentally lean over an inch. On one side of my smallest easel I have my auxiliary computer screen to paint from photos and on the right side is a shadow box for still lifes plus a small table for the palette, unseen in the photos but completing an L shape work area.    Low on the left are extra brushes and low on the right are drawers with paint tubes.  Access to one of the tall book shelves is certainly limited, but hey you can't have everything!  Paintings hang up high all around the room.   Hanging from the door of the art supply closet is a painter's apron that says East Studio Art League, Taos NM, a reminder of the sweet time I was privileged to paint with that great group. The wildlife paintings are by my daughter Cheryl who lives in Colorado.
Here is how a shadow box is used to help a painter see form and light and shadow:



I enjoy painting Jackie's early American pottery collection like this little redware pot. e

Blog Archive

Visits