Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities. ~Edyth O’Neill

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Die Kunstler Show and sale.


It was an interesting day here, this was the day our art club had its first outdoor show and sale under one of the Marktplatz Park pavilions.  We had good attendance with great support from the city and the local paper that put our story on the very front page. A man from the city hung our  large banner,  visible from Main street saying art show here today. I was pleased at how many people walked through and there were many sales.

  A group of the members put up a whole row of show panels 7 feet tall at one end, maybe 40 or 50 feet wide, without a lot of Zig to the Zag that holds them upright. The whole thing blew down about 3:45, paintings and all!  At least 50 paintings were hanging on it when that wall went down!  Those artists mostly gave up and left after gathering all their things.  A few had broken frames.  I was at the other end, just on a big Picnic table with a fabric cover on it, and my biggest painting  blew down earlier, so I laid all my paintings flat on the table, they did not look as good by a long shot as they did on the table easels I had for them but they stayed put.   When the wind gusts had come through earlier in the day, and my own large one went down, you could hear loud bangs all around the pavilion, Bang! Bang,  as paintings fell here and there, many times. The first was enough for me, I laid mine right down.  We will all plan a bit differently next year. March is a windy time.




  
Kathy is a photographer as well as a painter.


 Jack and I used to do big outdoor antique shows, even as far away as Massachusetts, so I know about wind.  He would look for a place with a pole or tree of some kind and tie his biggest cupboards to that.  We were showing in a tent one time at the Round Top show and a major part of the tent fell!  Cupboards went down, full of glassware and all such.   Another time we showed here in Marktplatz and a canvas side of the pavilion came loose from ropes and blew in and knocked over a whole row of furniture and stuff. Awesome!   Still nothing compares with the time a tornado hit the little show at Round Rock Texas, Helen has stories to tell about that one. I think the roof may have come off the motel she was in with others.  I remember Zella Tucker the show manager had eyes as big as saucers that morning.  We had great adventures and wonderful trips in our antique business.  e

Blog Archive

Visits