Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities.

For more than sixty years I have studied, collected, repaired, and bought and sold antique dolls. They have been back ground music in my life at every stage, sometimes louder, sometimes subdued, but always there with me. To see only the posts about dolls on this blog, click the banner on the right titled Dolls for My Red Cape. Keep clicking “Older Posts” to see more. Some of the posts featuring rug hooking are gathered under the banner For Cathy. From time to time items are offered for sale under the banner “O’Neill’s Antiques” which was our shop name for many years. ~Edyth O’Neill

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Favorite chocolate candy. amazingly easy, amazingly good!

Just four ingredients, 1 six oz can eagle brand milk,   3   4 oz boxes Baker's semi sweet chocolate squares. a dash of salt and 1  1/2 cups broken up pecons make a great chocolate lover's  favorite. This is so easy there is still time to stir up a batch for Christmas. No cooking at all. Use  4 boxes instead of three for a darker less sweet candy.





In a microwavable covered dish break the chocolate into squares, add the can of eagle brand and a dash of salt, not much.  Melt it together in the microwave, about 2  1/2 minutes for me, do not get it really hot at all.  Stir till smooth and add broken up pecans.  Very quickly drop out on a foil covered board or cookie sheets, this makes a lot of candy, I use a foil covered drafting board that is just for kitchen use, and a large spoon with a table knife to drop the candy out in little clusters,  See  picture.  Let  me hear back if you  make it!

Christmas Past...


e






10 comments:

  1. The candy looks wonderful!
    I need easy, to get Anything ! Done!
    Love the little dollies!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The candy sounds delicious and right up my alley since I spend as little time in the kitchen as possible. It takes too much time away from my quilting! Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been making this since the 1950's when the milk and the chocolate were packaged in larger sizes. I have had to adjust to keep it all in proportion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Edyth for the great recipe! I whipped it up for my neighbors:) As always I enjoy your blog posts so much. I would love to own one of your paintings if you ever put them up for sale here. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Edyth. Merry Christmas! Thank you for posting my dolls and for the candy recipe. It looks absolutely delicious! I am making a traditional Christmas pudding as I write. It is steaming for 6-8 hours and has cherries, dried fruits macerated in kirsch overnight and kirsch butter drizzled over the top when ready to eat. Wishing you and your family a happy, healthy year ahead filled with love and light.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dolls are beautiful and that red checked dress is delightful. I will try your recipe! I would like to use dried cherries in it. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems so simple, who can resist trying...will get ingredients
    tomorrow while marketing...many thanks for this easy way to delight
    the sweet-tooths...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much Edyth for your blog. I am transfixed by your dolls, your house, your food, your crafts and your painting. Please continue for as long as you can as it inspires me so much. I am from the UK. Much love to you from all of us over here. Carry on the good work. PS Oh, and the Spiced Peaches went down a treat at Christmas! Thank you for that recipe. From Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Clair, so nice to hear from someone across the pond! The internet is wonderful to build friendships for people with common interests all over.
    Best wishes to you, e

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Visits