Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities.

For more than sixty years I have studied, collected, repaired, and bought and sold antique dolls. They have been back ground music in my life at every stage, sometimes louder, sometimes subdued, but always there with me. To see only the posts about dolls on this blog, click the banner on the right titled Dolls for My Red Cape. Keep clicking “Older Posts” to see more. Some of the posts featuring rug hooking are gathered under the banner For Cathy. From time to time items are offered for sale under the banner “O’Neill’s Antiques” which was our shop name for many years. ~Edyth O’Neill

Friday, August 26, 2016

Still life paintings

Today is a warm August day in Texas, just what one would expect for our County Fair Parade this morning.  Three generations of my family are sitting on Main street in lawn chairs, with beach umbrellas and coolers and balloons and kids. As Party loving Fredericksburg has an open container allowed policy on the sidewalks, some in the crowd have wine coolers and such set up on the tail gates of their  pickups.   I miss the music and the color but not the hassle of it all.

  Instead I am looking back over recent paintings and considering an arrangement to start another.

 Many more of the dolls are clamoring to be pictured.

 I can remember my mother painting magnolia blossoms when I was a girl. She did lovely watercolors but not many.  I remember her Iris also and was there one with a bird?  Too long ago to be clear. These are from my yard here. 


 The painting of onions above is the only small one.  The rest are all large ones in heavy frames.


I might do another of the ship model with different accessories.    e     


11 comments:

  1. Your paintings are soooooo beautiful......I love the composition, depth and dimension. Timeless and classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Summer Edyth! 3 Generations together at ANY time is a Blessing! I love your paintings especially one with dolly. Caroline was my absolute FAVORITE of all of your dollies....I think a painting of her enjoying the fireside....or aside our precious red toile bed hangings would be one I would want! It brings me great happiness to picture you painting out & about~ XOXOXOXXO rachael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that a tuck comb doll? Tell us a little about her, if you please, Edyth! I love county fairs. Small and intimate. You made simple onions look like the finest heirlooms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Mary, No not a tuck comb. This one is unusual as her head and torso are carved from one piece of wood. About 1830, German, dressed by me. She looks just like a milliners model of this period, but the head is wood not mache. In fact her torso is wood, with a hole from shoulder to shoulder, through which I have put a tube of cloth to hold the wooden replacement arms Jack made. Her pantaloons hold the wooden legs. Maybe I can find a photo of some of that. If so will post here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edyth, I must say I so admire your many, many talents. Your paintings are stunning and my favorite is the one with the doll as well, so charming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Judi! I have painted so many now that they are stacked up and down the hall on the floor with no place on earth to hang them. There is a local show I will possibly put some in this November. I have 4 little wooden doll Paintings I am getting ready to picture and offer for sale as a set.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this…listen to your dolls…:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Nancy, I want to do more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love your old style paintings. Just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Visits