Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities. ~Edyth O’Neill

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Get started Hooking, updated


A nice email for me a few days ago, as follows:
"I am interested in learning to hook rugs and wondered if you could recommend a source?  I would also love a copy of your book. Is that possible? "

Dear Friend, Thank you for writing.   I hope you will love hooking rugs and it is an easy craft to learn the basics for, and then there is endless fun trying new colors and textures and designs.  My rug book sold out long ago.  I offer it now as a pdf to download to your computer for $15, see sidebar of the blog.   On screen it is far prettier than the book!  You can print any or all of it as you choose for your own personal use only.

Wikipedia has a nice free  article about rug hooking at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rug_hooking
 I think it is a helpful overview of the craft.  Note the mention of using knits or jerseys for the strips in earlier times.  More on this later on, maybe after Christmas.

 There are many  how to hook demos on You tube. Mavis does a good job with this one at
http://www.onehundreddollarsamonth.com/primitive-rug-hooking-basic-supplies-and-how-i-draw-patterns/  Notice she recommends Lori at Notforgotten farms, a  regular reader on this site and one talented lady.  I have a hundred friends who have a rug business, so it is hard to recommend even two here because of all I cannot fit in!  Please forgive.

 Trisha Travis shot a very short video of how I hold a hook and use it.   Link here      http://youtu.be/HKe6kWWWBgI
Sorry it does not show my fingers but you can look anyway.  Thank you Trisha.  My son in law Gary promises to shoot another closer in soon.  I will post it here. 
 
In addition, if you will click on the banner "For Cathy" my blog posts for beginning rug hookers will show for you. 

Blog Archive

Visits