Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities.

For more than sixty years I have studied, collected, repaired, and bought and sold antique dolls. They have been back ground music in my life at every stage, sometimes louder, sometimes subdued, but always there with me. To see only the posts about dolls on this blog, click the banner on the right titled Dolls for My Red Cape. Keep clicking “Older Posts” to see more. Some of the posts featuring rug hooking are gathered under the banner For Cathy. From time to time items are offered for sale under the banner “O’Neill’s Antiques” which was our shop name for many years. ~Edyth O’Neill

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Thrift store Finds for the Week

The apple does not fall far from the tree. My mother used to get on a bus and ride to downtown Dallas to check out the goodwill store in the 1950's.   She bought a few nice old dolls there and many other things. Jack's parents would load their three children in an old station wagon and go to the big flea market in Chicago every Sunday morning.   Jack and I enjoyed the hunt always.  I still love to go junking and get out when the weather is fine as it has been this past week here.  Local antique dealers volunteer to work in the thrift shops so a lot of things never see the front of the store. And what does is usually appropriately priced or sometimes over. All the same there is enough to keep me entertained.

 
My thrift store finds for last week are on the table pictured. The redware jar is a repro but nice on my painting table for pencils and such. The Staffordshire is old and imperfect but was once part of Jack’s mother’s collection sold by us some years ago and now back from the thrift! 
Open stoneware jars like this are good to conceal a plastic flower pot.  The doll size spinning wheel will go to someone else's doll family, as my dolls already have one like it.  There was also an immense Irish wake table I could not handle, with gorgeous William and Mary style turnings on a huge gateleg table. I would guess a date of 1900, not period or I would have brought it home of course if I had to keep it in the kitchen sink till I found a new owner for it. 
The white flowering quince blooming outside my front door today is the same one I had at the farm and have moved twice.   e

6 comments:

  1. I am playing blog catch up. It is so easy to fall behind.
    I absolutely adored your post about the Cashmere goats. Such wonderful pictures.
    Thank you for sharing your home with EAL. I so enjoyed it.
    Pug hugs :)
    Lauren
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few of my most treasured oldies were found on one of those, oh-so-fun junking trips. How I have enjoyed reading your story and visiting your beautiful home in Early American Life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love thrifting!
    You got some nice things!
    Love the quince, mine here is only red, with thorns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Edyth! I think I just lost my comment so here it is again. I would like to know if the blouse you wore on your birthday post was bought in a store, or did you sew it from a pattern? I think it is so pretty on you. I would appreciate if you could tell me where I might find one similar to yours, I would be so grateful. Thank you, Edyth Have a lovely day. Barbara Stillman in GA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Barbara, Thank you for participating in my blog. The ruffled linen jacket was made by Magnolia Pearl here in Fredericksburg. You can find the designer on the web, however this piece was made about three years back or maybe four, I forget. It is a fun website to see! Hope you find something just as nice. By the way search Magnolia Pearl on Ebay also, the pieces are eagerly collected by a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Edyth,
    Just wanted to day I've been enjoying your recent posts and also just got a copy of EAL and so enjoyed the article on you and your home. Thank you for sharing with all of us. You are a remarkable woman and I admire you and your creativity. I've hooked several of your rug designs and hope to hook more of them in the future. Blessings to you, Lori Rippey

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Visits