Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities.

For more than sixty years I have studied, collected, repaired, and bought and sold antique dolls. They have been back ground music in my life at every stage, sometimes louder, sometimes subdued, but always there with me. To see only the posts about dolls on this blog, click the banner on the right titled Dolls for My Red Cape. Keep clicking “Older Posts” to see more. Some of the posts featuring rug hooking are gathered under the banner For Cathy. From time to time items are offered for sale under the banner “O’Neill’s Antiques” which was our shop name for many years. ~Edyth O’Neill

Monday, January 26, 2015

Ten years ago

Birthdays are to be glad about, as long as one has a measure of health and a body that still mostly works ok.  I have a few creaks like the tin woodman, but  overall am ok.  Daughter Beth had a little birthday supper for me last evening, and throughout the day I heard from and visited with others in our large family.  Eight candles on the cake, one for each grand child and great grand.  We look forward to baby girl Ramsey to be born in February.
84 and hoping for more.

 

4 generations


Birthdays are also for looking back and here are some sweet pictures Sue Spivey took of the last workshop in the red cape. The year was 2005, when lightening was to strike the cape and change our lifestyle completely.


 The big sun porch was 40 feet long, the full width of the cape, making a great place for the workshops.



Our dining room was the old kitchen with a wide hearth.


The living room or sitting room would have been called the hall in the 18th century. It was not large, just under 16 feet square.
 


The cape was originally built in 1768 in Willington CT.

My wonderful little studio building!

Garden between the studio and the shop building.

Cashmere goats made charming pets.  If I would walk or sit near them most would come to nuzzle and be petted, they were armloads of downy sweetness for me. However they would butt each other around a bit.

Words cannot express my love for the little farm. e

Almost in full hair.  Below on the right is Banner our year old billy. Cashmere goats are so incredibly clean and pretty though the billys do smell very gamey when mature.

13 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Edyth. ... jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday. May you be blessed with many more years of health and happiness.
    Even after 10 years, I'm sure you still feel the loss. I am so sorry.
    Those cashmere goats are just too precious.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful memories and way to celebrate you special day.
    A very Happy Birthday to you and may your next year be filled with many blessings.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edyth...Happy Birthday....you certainly don't look your age!! I think your so pretty.....I have long been an admirer of your hooked rugs..and your beautiful home and antiques...I hope you have a year blessed with good health and love!!
    Linda Babb
    Tennessee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Edyth,

    Wishing you a very Happy Birthday and many blessings to you! I have followed your blog for a very long time and I always look forward to your posts. Your pictures of your Red Cape are always a treat. Thank you and have a lovely day!

    Barbara from Cumming, Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edyth,
    Happy Birthday! May you have many more. I love the birthday photos of you in your Magnolia Pearl finery! It suits you.
    Thank you for sharing a look back at your cape. Such wonderful and inspirational photos!
    Congratulations too on Ramsey's imminent birth! She'll be joining a family of amazing women! Lucky girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for all of the birthday wishes. It is a pleasure to hear from each of you! Edyth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday!
    God Bless You!
    Much abundance of goodness to come your way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like an idyllic place.
    Happy Birthday.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's wishing you many more! Edyth, you are an inspiration! While your red cape was magnificent, the real treasure is your resiliency in the face of loss. That's admirable! Enjoyed walking down memory lane though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Belated Birthday Edyth. Keep posting as I look forward to them. They are always a joy to read.
    From the Shenandoah Valley Va
    Carolyn B

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Belated Birthday Edyth!!
    I so enjoy your blog!
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Visits