Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities. ~Edyth O’Neill

Friday, August 22, 2014

Catching up with a busy Fredericksburg summer

Our little town, population under 11,000  loves parties and celebrations and parades. Once a year a large number of people form a line around the center block which is our Markplatz park and try to make a block long rendition of the chicken dance.  Countless fund raising concerts and fish frys and barbeques and parties like Octoberfest and Night in old Fredericksburg keep the town lively all year.  This  is our county fair weekend.  Much going on all weekend and then a free country music concert in the park to which several of us plan to take our lawn chairs and enjoy.  Many hundreds of people will go. 
   The fair parade is our largest for the year and 12 of our family and friends sat together.  I took 54 pictures and am showing a sample here.

Great granddaughter Bailey with her friend Camille.



Umbrellas help a lot!

Here comes our high school band. It is big!





 
 





The parade took more than an hour to pass. There were bands and boom boxes and plenty of music.  We had great places to sit, Gary and Beth took two cars and parked them on Main Street yesterday mid morning to secure our space.
 
As blogged before, I went to San Antonio last month to the United Federation of Doll Clubs big convention. Last week I went back to San Antonio with my son in law Gary to qualify for my concealed handgun license. No one can say my interests are not varied!   Today Cheryl brought me a nice 5 string banjo from an estate sale in Kerrville. She was going anyway and we could see it on the web.  I barely play one, mostly old time hymns, but I love them and had not had one for several years.   This is a lovely summer where I am!  I am thankful for it and at the same time wish people everywhere could have what we have here.  e

Blog Archive

Visits