Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities.

For more than sixty years I have studied, collected, repaired, and bought and sold antique dolls. They have been back ground music in my life at every stage, sometimes louder, sometimes subdued, but always there with me. To see only the posts about dolls on this blog, click the banner on the right titled Dolls for My Red Cape. Keep clicking “Older Posts” to see more. Some of the posts featuring rug hooking are gathered under the banner For Cathy. From time to time items are offered for sale under the banner “O’Neill’s Antiques” which was our shop name for many years. ~Edyth O’Neill

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Mouse needed

Here is the tall case clock I purchased yesterday for my doll family. The height is 44 inches. It is pictured here on my dining table with a full size old American painted clock in the back ground, as well as with a group of dolls.

If you like old clocks see Peggy Flavin's outstandingly lovely example here:
http://peggyflavin.blogspot.com/2014/04/eugenia-and-sister-elena.html
This post on her blog shows two Queen Ann style dolls playing on the old clock. 

I want a mouse to sit on top of this small clock in the doll's display. Any suggestions for making one email me at joneill816@austin.rr.com. I could stitch a simple one from my rug wool.  What shall I use for stiff whiskers?  A Steiff mouse could be there instead.  e



6 comments:

  1. Dental floss should work for whiskers. I love your clock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do so enjoy reading your blog. I have used hair from the tail of horses or if you know someone that has hogs the ear hair makes wonderful whiskers. Perhaps one of your readers will slip a few in an envelope for you to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful clock and your doll collection is wonderful! I use fishing line filament for stiff mouse whiskers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are some adorable needle felted mice on Etsy:

    https://www.etsy.com/listing/174361214/needle-felted-mouse-white-mouse?ref=sr_gallery_14&ga_search_query=felted+mouse&ga_page=6&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Edith,
    I have a friend who makes wonderful reproductions of old animals. She also makes mice. She has a website, but the mice are not on there.
    Her web site is - ginnyhensonblog@wordpress.com
    She can send you a picture and she makes more than one size.
    Also, if you go to my website - wheatenwoolens.com and look at my post - Making an Office, you will find one of her mice on the shelf in the fifth picture. She also made the lambs on that shelf, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Edyth, I love hearing about your home and your dolls. My doll collection is small but growing and your blog is inspiration for me. Please keep sharing. Doing a lot of gardening here in Southern Indiana. Canned 39 quarts of cling peaches in the last 2 days. Take care of yourself. Pat

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Visits