Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities.

For more than sixty years I have studied, collected, repaired, and bought and sold antique dolls. They have been back ground music in my life at every stage, sometimes louder, sometimes subdued, but always there with me. To see only the posts about dolls on this blog, click the banner on the right titled Dolls for My Red Cape. Keep clicking “Older Posts” to see more. Some of the posts featuring rug hooking are gathered under the banner For Cathy. From time to time items are offered for sale under the banner “O’Neill’s Antiques” which was our shop name for many years. ~Edyth O’Neill

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Our New little Kitchen

I am very happy with this room!
A Galley kitchen is our favorite kind, with everything right within reach.  Unseen are great pullout shelves in the lower cabinets.   At the far end of the kitchen is the breakfast area, with a little atrium outside which holds mostly kitchen herbs right now. The rusty red cupboard in the breakfast area was once part of the red cape that was lost. How fortunate I feel to still have this piece. A lot of our early fireplace iron is used in this room purely for decor.  My chalk deer rug hangs over Jack's black settle.
Jack has made a hanging shelf to go over the sink, it holds redware pottery which is very nice with the grey green paint. I have his pattern for the shelf ends and will try to make a downloadable pdf for those who want to make one like it.







 



 

The ship weathervane showing through from the living room ledge is a nice touch Jack thought up.
The Langhorne Tavern sign rug is in honor of one in my family history.  I know the name was Langhorne's Tavern, and belonged to Maurice Langhorne in Virginia during the 18th century. I have no idea what the real taven sign may have looked like.  The Langhorne family home from that time is still standing and lived in, I received a cd of photos taken in and ourside of the house, wonderful!   A nice gift from an internet genealogist friend.   The colors in the new kitchen are all in the rug. The rug was hooked years and years ago, but my color choices seem stay the same.
 This kitchen really knows how to cook, if only I could remember how to do my part!

8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed seeing your home and the wonderful way you have decorated it.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color you painted the cabinets. Any chance you will share the color name and paint make?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll post on this entry, but have been so enjoying all the recent ones. Your new home seems expressly designed to show off your collections...but I think it's because you have managed to make the perfect blend between the modern architecture and your beautiful rugs, pottery, art, furniture, everything! It should be featured in a magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dixie, yes the cabinets are painted with Benjamin Moore historic color 101, Hampshire gray. So glad you like it. E

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your new home and the gray/green shade is perfect for the kitchen cabinets!
    Just wondering if you are aware of any rug hooking events in your area. My friend and I are interested in taking a class and there are no rug hookers we can find in the central Arkansas area!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tour of your lovely new home. You have such a talent for creating beautiful spaces...love the rugs, the pottery, the furniture, ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. And she shall have beauty wherever
    she goes....
    Your home is evolving into a jewel
    of a space. Who would have thunk
    it was "modern" to begin with?
    Blessings in this new adventure.
    Gentility

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have been so busy Edyth! Have missed you! The kitchen looks fabulous~ and tell Jack he can come hang some things up for me too!!!! ;) xoxoxoxo rachael

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Visits