Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities.

For more than sixty years I have studied, collected, repaired, and bought and sold antique dolls. They have been back ground music in my life at every stage, sometimes louder, sometimes subdued, but always there with me. To see only the posts about dolls on this blog, click the banner on the right titled Dolls for My Red Cape. Keep clicking “Older Posts” to see more. Some of the posts featuring rug hooking are gathered under the banner For Cathy. From time to time items are offered for sale under the banner “O’Neill’s Antiques” which was our shop name for many years. ~Edyth O’Neill

Monday, November 22, 2010

Women power! An opportunity to help our sister!

Dear Friends, This email below is from a quilting friend who is no longer able to get out and about much. Is there any way we can give her a shower of black rag dolls, a beautiful Christmas project? She has always been a textile person with good taste and tiny stitches and a good woman who once helped many others. For privacy you may ship them to me and I will forward them? I can stitch up something and send! Will picture that! If more come I will picture them here on this blog. Edyth Email follows:

I was goingn to call you, but it's very dark up here i North Texas, and I don,t want to get youout of bed. 'm about ready for a nice,l hot
bath, but don't want to waste that effort til I am reasonably sur \e that I can get to sleep.

I think that I reaally need a confession time. Throwing rocks over the fence would be more satisfying, but might get cajught, evem if we do bvaaaack up to a vacant lot!! That is a real p;lus.

I have been yearning for a black rag doll. Since I can't drive anywhere, and even though I watch the sky in case one should happen
to falll in my yard , but no luck so far. f my nerves weren 't so frazzled I could make one as a last resort. There's no need to blow my
blood pressure our the roof over it. At least that is what I keep telling myself, and there certainly isn't anyone around here that cares.

I'm fast getting bey;ond beyond being able to think or see what 'm doling (I yhinkF) so I might as well go on to bed. I still want a black
rag doll, period. I'm getting old, fast and I don't need any more reason!!!!!!11So there.

Do you think should get a hot bath and call it quits! I thought it was 9i.30, but it is onlyh 7:30. I know how to fix that ___don't
look at my watch anymore.. I'm still okay, because no one from from South Presa has tried to pick me up yet!!! OOps, I think
that someon mayh be pulling into my drivesway. I'm sure it will all get better her. Go aheaad - reassure me!!!!!!! ove, (name)

8 comments:

  1. Dear Debbie, Blessings! I hope we can send a basket full! I know how much company dolls are when you are lonely. This woman came and helped us after our fire and brought food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I haven't made a doll in a while now but I will work on something for this sweet lady and email you a picture when I finish. It will be a joy to participate.

    Take care,
    Sallie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Edyth,

    I'm going to pack up one of my treasured black dolls and get off to you tomorrow...my heart is nreaking for this dear lady being moved away from all things familiar...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted this on Maida Today as well.

    www.maidatoday.com

    I'm looking forward to seeing what we all can gather together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not made dolls in a very long time. Need a doll quilt? Just tell me what the finished size needs to be I will whip one up. Not sure if that helps????

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sad for this poor woman! This reminds me of the movie, The Trip to Bountiful, starring Geraldine Page. Here she is at a most difficult time in her life and with an elderly mother in law to boot, and needs loving care from her husband who would rather be golfing. Well, a black doll is on it's way and perhaps i can find some others to send along before Christmas. Thankyou for sharing this story and best of luck in making this a happy Christmas for this woman, our sister, in need of
    all our support! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Edyth,
    Go and have a look on Dixie's MAIDA site to see what I have made to give to your friend.

    Hugs,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank all of you for your enthusiasm and participation! Yes Merideth a doll quilt will be wonderful! Thank all of you for dolls coming, I have received one tiny one so far, and my own is in the making, painted her head today, oil takes a bit to dry. As soon as there are several here I will picture them and send them on. Small batches would be fun for our friend to receive

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Visits