Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities.

For more than sixty years I have studied, collected, repaired, and bought and sold antique dolls. They have been back ground music in my life at every stage, sometimes louder, sometimes subdued, but always there with me. To see only the posts about dolls on this blog, click the banner on the right titled Dolls for My Red Cape. Keep clicking “Older Posts” to see more. Some of the posts featuring rug hooking are gathered under the banner For Cathy. From time to time items are offered for sale under the banner “O’Neill’s Antiques” which was our shop name for many years. ~Edyth O’Neill

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

making jewelry


Working silver comes as naturally to me as sewing and shaping fabric does. Some of you may know that about 16 years ago Jack and I had a great time making silver and turquoise jewelry. I am planning to sell all the silver and tools and turquoise soon and decided to make a few last pieces before that is all gone. So today I cut and stamped a few small crosses. My hands do not like the little 2 pound sledge hammer I used to use, so it goes differently. But at least it goes! I love rowdy big chunky pieces, and great long strings of beads, much more the taste of a gypsy than that of a lady. so heavy Navajo styles speak to me.
We moved a few things into an antique mall booth last week. I may offer a little silver in there. Wish us luck! Edyth

4 comments:

  1. Hi Edyth:

    It is good to see you working silver. I have always admired your jewelry. (Almost as much as your rug designs.)

    It looks like life in the new city house is settling. A wedding there!? How delightful.

    Stay cool and enjoy that silver and turquoise.

    Susan Harper

    ReplyDelete
  2. So THIS is what you have been up to~ weddings and makin sparklies again! Did you do a squash blossom necklace????? huh huh huh???? email me some pictures of your pretties your gonna sell ok? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admired the jewelry you wore in your book..I'm sure your new pieces will be as wonderful and would sell very very quickly! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck, sweet Edyth! What fun to see you at work. :-)

    Dixie

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Visits